Our Rating: 74%
One Main Financial Personal Loan Review
- Options to borrowers with poor credit
- Offers joint applications
- Branch visit required
About One Main Financial Personal Loans
One Main Financial Personal Loan Snapshot
$1,500 - $20,000
18% to 35.99%
Minimum Credit Score:
Time to Funding:
As soon as one business day
Has Origination Fee:
What loan amount would you look to borrow?
Pros and cons of One Main Financial Personal Loans
Before signing up for a loan with One Main Financial, take a look at this breakdown of some of its benefits and drawbacks.
Accepts joint applications: Unlike most lenders, OneMain Financial allows for multiple borrowers on a single loan.
Options for people with poor credit: If you have poor credit and need a personal loan, you may still be able to get approved for a OneMain Financial “secured” loan using your vehicle or even RV as collateral.
Branch visit required: Unlike other lenders, OneMain Financial requires that potential borrowers visit a branch to complete the application process.
Are One Main Financial Personal Loans Available in your State?
OneMain Financial offers loans that range from $1,500 to $20,000. Its personal loans carry a fixed annual percentage rate, or APR, of 18 percent to 35.99 percent, depending on creditworthiness. The rate quote you receive is based on multiple factors, including your credit history, income, debt and amount of collateral. The amount you’re asking for and your repayment term (24, 36, 48 or 60 months) also play a role.
OneMain Financial does not disclose a minimum credit score for eligibility, but it does allow you to provide collateral in the event of a secured loan.
Fees and penalties
OneMain Financial charges an origination fee that’s built into the monthly payments. For example, if you are approved to borrow $10,000 and you’re charged a 3.5% origination fee, you’ll only receive $9,650. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll be making payments on the entire $10,000. You should factor in the origination charge when calculating the total amount you’re looking to borrow. Origination fees vary by state.
OneMain Financial’s late fees and returned payment fees vary by state, but you won’t be penalized for paying off your loan early.
How to get a Personal Loan with One Main Financial
Once you’re approved online, you’ll have to go into a OneMain Financial branch for an in-person interview with a loan specialist to verify your identity and financial information before finalizing and signing off on the loan. If you require collateral to secure your loan, this is the time to bring it.
- Go to OneMain Financial’s online application and enter basic personal information.
- Include the desired loan amount, purpose of the loan, net monthly income, employment information, whether or not you own property and if you have a bank account.
- Receive an almost-instant response, along with an email containing more detailed information.
- Schedule an in-person appointment with the loan specialist to close your personal loan.
- Present proof of identity, employment, income and collateral if you’re using your car or another motorized vehicle.
- Like all lenders, the bank will do a “hard” credit check, which can adversely impact your credit score.
The whole process takes on average two to three days, although it is possible to receive your money the same day you apply or the next business day after approval.